Wednesday, July 1, 2015

If You Ain't a Member of the Mob


Well it’s about time a real American institution like NASCAR gets out in front of the whole confederate flag issue. Spokespeople for the sport are out in force this week demanding a ban of all confederate flags at NASCAR events, which is a great day for, well people who hate NASCAR, it’s fans and just about everything NASCAR stands for. Now of course I think NASCAR is stupid, and I don’t just say that as someone who hasn’t watched or been involved in the events. I mean I was at one time married into a NASCAR family, and by “being married into” I don’t mean a bunch of fans, I mean track owners. I have been surrounded by fans of the sport pretty much my whole life, and in the financial aspect I can understand wanting to ban confederate flags, but as a long term strategy, they are probably shooting themselves in the foot, cutting off their noses to spite their face, and quite possibly killing the goose that lays the golden eggs on the rumor that golden goose meat tastes better.

Let’s just be reasonable for a moment here. I don’t fly confederate flags, and at the same time I don’t care if others do. I’m sure there are a few fans of NASCAR that might, and I bet there are a lot more fans that don’t. On the same token I bet most NASCAR fans think like I do, I don’t and I don’t care. What about the people demanding that confederate flags be stricken from history? What kind of people do you think they are? I already said they probably aren’t NASCAR fans but let’s just think for a moment what they probably are fans of, other than the knee jerk reactionaries that blame symbols for thoughts, actions and deeds. What other knee jerk reactionary things could these nutballs be into perchance? Could they perhaps be the type of people who irrationally support anything to do with climate change? Do you think they are the types to monitor things like fossil fuels, greenhouse gasses, wasting rubber and all kinds of other things that the NASCAR culture basically needs to survive?

I don’t care about NASCAR, which despite it being the “fastest growing sport in the history of fastest growing sports,” but I do know something that the NASCAR people who want to grow their audience at the expense of parts of its audience. No matter how big the sport gets it will never be a majority of people. As a matter of fact I can guarantee that more people will not care about NASCAR than care about NASCAR, so it would be in their best interest to remember that when you are not a member of the mob then you are subject to the mob. Just because you denounced the confederate flag does not make you one of “those people” who are out there denouncing the confederate flag right now. You will always be the enemy of “those people” that are out there denouncing the confederate flag right now. I happen to be one of those people that doesn’t suffer fools and their decision making skills, and I didn’t care about you as a sport already.

In the end I have said it before and I will say it again. NASCAR is a sport for rednecks who can’t understand the intricate plot twists of professional wrestling. Apparently it is run by people who don’t understand the intricate plot twists of the looney left either. Good luck with that.