Tuesday, January 27, 2015

I Hear There's A Game on Sunday

Again as a Patriots fan I have been either given a wide berth or outright disrespect for a week, after the deflate-gate crap surfaced. A lot of people hate a winner, and a lot of people hate a cheater. The question as to which I am seeing half the time gets blurred from there. For the most part in my day to day, I spent a couple of days sad about it, as I tried to be rational about what was going on. Then I found myself in the position of trying to understand where others were coming from, when they trashed the Patriots for cheating. Then leaks came out making it look worse and worse for the Patriots, and the hate just started ratcheting up, as it became damn obvious that the haters were just trying to make Patriots fans feel bad. I shut down on it.

The big problem is during football season; I can listen to sports radio, and get away from all of the hate and disdain of politics, and especially the hate and disdain of the politically charged useless, who vote by envy to get even with everyone. In “that” world it is ok to think like an idiot, because the news world is always on board to make sure that certain people are always painted a certain way, and unfortunately I am one of those people. I grow a thick skin, and I retreat into football for a few months a year. I have been fortunate that my football team is one of the really good ones, so that I have something to root for. This week has been nothing but an all-out assault by everyone to ruin the Super Bowl for myself and others. The two people reading this right now are shaking their heads, but the fact is I don’t care.

Over the last week after the entire smear was thrown out there we have found out, the initial reports that the intercepted football was the reason this all started, was a total lie. We have found out that the Ravens complained about the only balls that the Patriots don’t have anything to do with. We have found out that other teams throughout the year were caught heating footballs on the sidelines and were told to “knock it off” by the referees, and nothing else done. We found out this was a sting operation which had one goal, and that was to weigh the Patriots game balls at half time. They never tested the Colts balls. They never got any evidence during the process between weighing the balls and getting them out to the field, and then the entire time to half time when they took ONLY the Patriots balls and weighed them. Everyone can go to Hell until the investigation is over.

Everyone hates Belichick, I get it. Everyone envies Tom Brady, I get it. Nobody reputable ever questions the integrity of Robert Kraft. Oh I’m sure there are people who question his integrity, but again haters going to hate. In the NFL world his credibility and dignity are never questioned. Here’s what he had to say about the whole issue, and because of this alone, I am pretty sure that this entire thing is manufactured bull crap, because he would never put his name to this if he wasn't completely sure:
“Given the events of the last week, I want to take a minute to address the air-pressure measure before we kick off this week’s media availabilities.
“I've spoken with Coach (Bill) Belichick; I've spoken with Tom Brady. I’ve taken the time to understand to the best of my abilities what goes on in the preparation of game-day footballs, and I want to make it clear that I believe unconditionally that the New England Patriots have done nothing inappropriate in this process or in violation of NFL rules.
“Tom, Bill and I have been together for 15 years. They are my guys. They are part of my family. And Bill, Tom and I have had many difficult discussions over the years. And I have never known them to lie to me. That is why I am confident in saying what I just said, and it bothers me greatly that their reputations and integrity, and by association that of our team, has been called into question this past week.
“As I said on Friday in my prepared statement, we welcome the league’s investigation and the involvement of Attorney Wells. I’m confident that this investigation will uncover whatever the facts were that took place last Sunday and the science to how game balls react to changes in the environment. This would be in direct contrast to the public discourse, which has been driven by media leaks as opposed to actual data and facts. Because of this, many have jumped to conclusions and made strong accusations against our coach, quarterback and staff, questioning the integrity of all involved.
“If the Wells investigation is not able to definitively determine that our organization tampered with the air pressure in the footballs, I would expect and hope that the league would apologize to our entire team, and in particular Coach Belichick and Tom Brady, for what they have had to endure this past week.
“I am disappointed in how this entire matter has been handled and reported upon. We expect hard facts as opposed to circumstantial leaked evidence to drive the conclusion of this investigation.
“In closing, I would like to say to all the fans of the National Football League, and especially the amazing fans of the New England Patriots, that I and our entire organization believe strongly in the integrity of the game and the rules of fair play properly, equitably and fairly enforced.”

Now go get over yourselves and let’s start talking about the GAME!